With the exponential growth in mobile adoption, technology and new apps, mobile is on everyone’s list for 2011 and beyond, and rightfully so. The mobile “product” and “channel” offers numerous opportunities for all marketers, healthcare and pharma included.
Consider some of the facts:
- Mobile will be the primary digital connection for both existing and new customers. [Forester]
- Today there are well over 400M phones in the US, over 350M applications available for the iPhone and counting with more than 10B downloads. [Forester]
- Mobile users will surpass desktop users in 5 years. Mobile growth is the fastest in communications history. [Mary Meeker, KPCB]
- Physician adoption of mobile devices is astounding. Chilmark Research estimates 100% of physicians will have a smart phone and use content apps by 12/31/2013–with touchscreen tablet saturation by 2015. Smartphone Apps now focus on communication, alerts and decision support. Clinical reference content is currently leading mHealth apps, but will evolve with the growth of iPad and other touchscreen tablets to provide more flexibility, personalization, patient education…
- Of the 85% of American adults who use a cell phone, 17% of cell owners have used their phone to look up health or medical information and 29% of cell owners ages 18-29 have done such searches. [Pew Internet Mobile Health 2010]